Every warehouse professional knows they can benefit from a system that streamlines and automates processes. In our quest to find the right warehouse management solution, you must first evaluate your options.
Today, I want to give you a few ways to evaluate warehouse management solutions and get you on the road to having better insight and productivity in your organization.
5 Ways To Warehouse Management Solutions
- Pragmatically – When we start evaluating warehouse management solutions, you need to have as much information as you can. To this, have your warehouse supervisor put their global requirements on paper. That way it’s in writing and you can distribute it to vendors. Ask vendors for demonstrations and of those you short list, go into in-depth looks and start looking at which vendors gives you the best warehouse management solution for your needs and budget.
- See it to believe it – Don’t forget to organize physical site visits. Logistics people have a credo: “Seeing-is-believing.” By doing physical site visits, you have the proof in the pudding, so to speak. This way you see the warehouse management solution in action.
- Bring in a consultant– It’s best to bring in a consultant that’s knowledgeable on WMS and warehousing and distribution. Ask them to do a discovery on pain points, what’s needed, and project for the future. Then, use this data to align with the organization and move to further steps for implementation of a warehouse management solution.
- Look at WMS comparison sites – With global databases containing data of all the features of warehouse management solutions, you have a large amount of ammunition at your fingertips. Sites, such as warehouse-logistics.com have the skinny on all kinds of data you need to build your case for a new system in your organization.
- All of the above – A large amount of data can be had from the options I’ve spelled out so far, but the best way to evaluate your needs for a warehouse management solution is to get a grip on your own business processes. Then, you can go out and find what works for your organization.
Evaluating a warehouse management solution takes time, resources and above all, an understanding of your own business needs. When you get all of these into the right mix, you’ll find a solution that gives you the enhanced productivity and positive ROI you seek.
To learn more about warehouse management solutions, subscribe to our RSS feed, follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or connect with us on LinkedIn.